Larvicidal and pupicidal effects of some essential oils against Musca domestica Linnaeus, 1758 (Diptera:Muscidae)
Keywords:Essential oil, Control, Musca domestica, Toxic effect
Essential oils (EOs) from plants can provide an eco-friendly alternatives to traditional synthetic insecticides. This study aimed to evaluate the effects of six different essential oil (Foeniculum vulgare, Cinnamomum verum, Allium sativum, Capsicum annum, Mentha piperita, Urtica dioica) against Musca domestica. Larvicidal and pupicidal, efficacy of six EOs were evaluated by contact toxicity method at four different doses (1%; 2.5%, 5%, and 10%) in 5 replications. The research was performed at 60 ± 1.5% humidity and 27 ± 0.5 0C temperature at the Animal Physiology Laboratory of Ondokuz Mayıs University. The LC50 and LC90 values were determined by probit analysis. The effects of treatment and concentrations on different exposure periods, larval and pupal survival and development time were analyzed by a two-way analysis of variance. The larval toxicity of six EOs increased significantly with increased exposed periods. The larval and pupal mortality percent was also increased as the concentration increased for testing all essential oil. The highest larval mortality percent (100.0%) was observed at the (10%) concentration of six essential oils, and all concentrations of Cinnamomum verum oil. Besides, the lowest larval mortality percent (46%) was caused by the 1% concentration of Foeniculum vulgare. The highest pupicidal effect was shown by 10, 5, 2.5% Cinnamomum verum EOs (100% mortality) and 1% Cinnamomum verum EOs (97.36%). The present study revealed that tested essential oil had significant potential for affecting biological parameters of M. domestica. The Cinnamomum verum EOs can be used as an eco- friendly product for the control of housefly larvae and pupae.
• Abdel-Bakı, A.A.S., Aboelhadıd, S.M., Sokmen, A., Al-Quraıshy, S., Hassan, A.O., Kamel, A.A. (2021). Larvicidal and pupicidal activities of Foeniculum vulgare essential oil, trans-anethole and fenchone against house fly Musca domestica and their inhibitory effect onacetylcholinestrase. Entomological Research, 51, 568–577.
• Ayvaz, A., Sagdic, O., Karaborklu, S., Ozturk, I. (2010). Insecticidal activity of the essential oils from different plants against three stored-product insects. Journal of Insect Science, 10, 21. https://doi.org/10.1673/031.010.2101
• Bezzar-Bendjazia, R., Kilani-Morakchi, S., Maroua, F., Aribi, N. (2017). Azadirachtin induced larval avoidance and antifeeding by disruption of food intake and digestive enzymes in Drosophila melanogaster (Diptera: Drosophilidae). Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, 143, 135–140.
• Chantawee, A., Soonwera, M. (2018a). Larvicidal, pupicidal and oviposition deterrent activities of essential oils from Umbelliferae plants against house fly Musca domestica. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 11(10), 621-629.
• Chantawee, A., Soonwera, M. (2018b). Efficacies of four plant essential oils as larvicide, pupicide and oviposition deterrent agents against dengue fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti Linn. (Diptera: Culicidae). Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 8(4), 217-225.
• Chıntalchere JM, Lakare S, Pandıt RS (2013). Bıoeffıcacy of essentıal oıls of Thymus vulgarıs and Dianthus caryophyllus agaınst housefly, Musca domestıca L. The Bioscan 8 (3): 1029-1034.
• Chiam, W.Y., Huang, Y., Chen, S.X., Ho, S.H. (1999). Toxic and antifeedant effects of allyl disulfide on Tribolium castaneum (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) and Sitophilus zeamais (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Journal of Economic Entomology, 92(1), 239–245. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/92.1.239
• El Zayyat, E.A., Soliman, M.I., Elleboudy, N.A., Ofaa, S.E. (2017). Bioefficacy of some Egyptian aromatic plants on Culex pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae) adults and larvae. Journal of Arthropod-Borne Disease, 11(1), 147-155.
• Förster, M., Klimpel, S., Mehlhorn, H., Sievert, K., Messler, S., Pfeffer, K. (2007). Pilot study on synanthropic flies (e.g. Musca, Sarcophaga, Calliphora, Fannia, Lucilia, Stomoxys) as vectors of pathogenic microorganisms. Parasitology Research, 101, 243–246.
• Govindarajan, M., Sivakumar, R., Rajeswari, M., Yogalakshmi, K. (2012). Chemical composition and larvicidal activity of essential oil from Mentha spicata (Linn.) against three mosquito species. Parasitology Research, 110, 2023–2032. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-011-2731-7
• Gupta, A.K., Nayduch, D., Verma, P., Shah, B., Ghate, H.V., Patole, M.S., Shouche, Y.S. (2011). Phylogenetic characterization of bacteria in the gut of house flies (Musca domestica L.). FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 79 (3), 581-93.
• Inyang, U.E., Emosairue, S.O. (2005). Laboratory assessment of the repellent and antifeedant properties of aqueous extracts of 13 plants against the banana weevil Cosmopolites sordidus Germar (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Tropical and Subtropical Agroecosystems,·5, 33-44.
• Isikber, A.A., Ozder, N., Saglam, O. (2009). Susceptibility of eggs of Tribolium confusum, Ephestia kuehniella and Plodia interpunctella to four essential oil vapors. Phytoparasitica, 37, 231-239.
• Karci, A., Isikber, A.A. (2007). Ovicidal activity of various essential oils against confused flour beetle, Tribolium confusum Jacquelin duVal (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Integrated Protection of Stored Products, 30, 51-258.
• Khan, H.A., Akram, W., Shad, S.A. (2013). Resistance to conventional insecticides in Pakistani populations of Musca domestica L. (Diptera: Muscidae): a potential ectoparasite of dairy animals. Ecotoxicology, 22, 522–527.
• Khan, H.A.A,. Akram, W., Lee, S, Ahmad, T., Maqsood, K., et al. (2019). Toxic potential of some indigenous plant oils against the rice weevil, Sitophilus oryzae (Linnaeus). Entomology Research, 49, 136-140.
• Khater, H.F., Khater, D.F. (2009). The insecticidal activity of four medicinal plants against the blowfly Lucilia sericata (Diptera: Calliphoridae). International Journal of Dermatology, 48, 492-497.
• Khater, H.F., Ali, A.M., Abouelella, G.A., Marawan, M.A., Govindarajan M, et al. (2018) Toxicity and growth inhibition potential of vetiver, cinnamon, and lavender essential oils and their blends against larvae of the sheep blowfly, Lucilia sericata. International Journal of Dermatology, 57, 449–457.
• Khater, H., Geden, C.J. (2018). Potential of essential oils to prevent fly strike and their effects on the longevity of adult Lucilia sericata. Journal of Vector Ecology, 43 (2), 261-270.
• Khater, H., Geden, C.J. (2019). Efficacy and repellency of some essential oils and their blends against larval and adult house flies, Musca domestica L. (Diptera: Muscidae). Journal of Vector Ecology, 44 (2), 256-263.
• Kumar, P., Mıshra, S., Malık, A., Satya, S. (2011a). Repellent, larvicidal and pupicidal properties of essential oils and their formulations against the housefly, Musca domestica. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 25 (3), 302-310.
• Kumar, P., Mishra, S., Malik, A., Satya, S. (2011b). Insecticidal properties of Mentha species: a review. Industrial Crops and Products, 34, 802–817. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2011.02.019
• Kumar, P., Mishra, S., Malik, A., Satya, S. (2012a). Insecticidalevaluationofessential oils of Citrus sinensis L. (Myrtales:Myrtaceae) against housefly, Musca domestica L. (Diptera: Muscidae). Parasitology Research, 110, 1929–1936.
• Kumar, P., Mishra, S., Malik, A., Satya, S. (2012b). Efficacy of Mentha x piperita and Mentha citrata essential oilsagainst housefly, Musca domestica L. Industrial Crops and Products, 39, 106–112.
• Kumar, A., Dubeya, K.N., Srivastava, S. (2013). Antifungal evaluation of Ocimum sanctum essential oil against fungal deterioration of raw materials of Rauvolfia serpentina during storage. Industrial Crops and Products, 45, 30-35.
• Kumar, P., Mishra, S., Malik, A., Satya, S. (2014). Biocontrol potential of essential oil monoterpenes against housefly, Musca domestica (Diptera: Muscidae) Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 100 (1), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2013.11.013
• Levchenko, M.A., Silivanova, E.A., Khodakov, P.E., Gholizadeh, S. (2021). Insecticidal efficacy of some essential oils against adults of Musca domestica L. (Diptera: Muscidae). International Journal of Tropical Insect Science, 41(4), 2669-2677. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42690-021-00448-0
• Malik, A, Singh N, Satya S (2007). Housefly (Musca domestica): A review of control strategies for a challenging pest. Journal of Environmental Science and Health B 42: 453–469.
• Mansour, L.S.A., Bakr, R.F.A., Mohamed, R.I., Hasaneen. N.M. (2011). Larvicidal Activity of Some Botanical Extracts, Commercial Insecticides and their Binary Mixtures Against the Housefly, Musca domestica. The Open Toxicology Journal, 4, 1-13.
• Meriga, B., Mopuri, R. MuraliKrishna, T. (2011). Insecticidal, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of bulb extracts of Allium sativum. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 5(5), 391-395.
• Meyer, J.A., Petersen, J.J. (1983). Characterization and seasonal distribution of breeding sites of stable flies and house flies on eastern Nebraska feedlots and dairies. Journal of Economic Entomology, 76, 103-108.
• Mohamed, H.S., Fahmy, M.M., Attia, M.M., Rabab, M., El Khateeb, M., Shalaby, H.A., Massoud, A.M. (2016). The insecticidal activity of two medicinal plants (Commiphora molmol) and (Balanites aegyptiaca) against the Blowfly Lucilia sericata (Diptera: Calliphoridae). International Journal of Advanced Research in Biological Sciences, 3(3), 144-158.
• Mordue, A.J., Nisbet, A. (2000). Azadirachtin from the Neem Tree Azadirachta indica: its Action Against Insects. Anais da Sociedade Entomológica do Brasil, 29, 615−632
• Morey, R.A., Khandagle, A.J. (2012). Bioefficacy of essential oils of medicinal plants against housefly, Musca domestica L. Parasitology Research, 111”, 1799-1805. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-012-3027-2
• Moutassem, D., Bellik, Y., Sennef, M.E.H. (2021). Toxicity and repellent activities of Thymus pallescens and Cymbopogon citratus essential oils against Sitophylus granarius. Plant Protection Science 57, 2021 (4), 297–309
• Nasiruddin, M., Mordue, A.J. (1993). The effect of azadirachtin on the midgut histology of the locusts, Schistocerca gregaria and Locusta migratoria. Tissue Cell, 25, 875−884.
• Neupane, S., Nayduch, D., Zurek, L. (2019). House Flies (Musca domestica) Pose a Risk of Carriage and Transmission of Bacterial Pathogens Associated with Bovine Respiratory Disease (BRD). Insects, 10, 358. https://doi.org/10.3390/insects10100358
• Ogbalu, O.K., Bobmanuel, R.B., Membere, O. (2014). Larvicidal Effect of Aqueous Leaf Extract of Tobacco (Nicotianatabacum) On the Third Instar Larvae of Musca domestica L. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, 7 (12), 35-40.
• Pavela, R. (2008). Insecticidal Properties of Several Essential Oils on the House Fly (Musca domestica L.). Phytotherapy Research, 22, 274–278.
• Pavela, R, (2011). Insecticidal and repellent activity of selected essential oils against of the pollen beetle, Meligathes aeneus (Fabricius) adults. Industrial Crops and Products, 34, 888–892.
• Prowse, G.M., Galloway, T.S., Foggo, A. (2006). Insecticidal activity of garlic juice in two dipteran pests. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 8, 1-6.
• Roel, AR, Dourado DM, Matias R, Porto KRA, Bednaski AV, da Costa, R.B. (2010). The effect of sub-lethal doses of Azadirachta indica (Meliaceae) oil on the midgut of Spodoptera frugiperda (Lepidoptera, Noctuidae). Revista Brasileira de Entomologia, 54(3), 505-510. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0085-56262010000300024
• Sedaghat, M., Dehkordi, A.S., Abai, M., Khanavi, M., Mohtarami, F., Abadi, YS., Rafi, F., Vatandoost, H. (2011). Larvicidal activity of essential oils of Apiaceae plants against malaria vector, Anopheles stephensi. Journal of Arthropod-Borne Disease, 5(2), 51-59.
• Scott, J.G., Alefantis, T.G., Kaufman, P.E., Rutz, D.A. (2000). Insecticide resistance in house flies from caged-layer poultry facilities. Pest Management Science, 56, 147-153.
• Schou, TM, Faurby S, Kjærsgaard A, Pertoldi C, Loeschcke V, Hald, B., Bahrndorffet, S.(2013) Temperature and population density effects on locomotor activity of Musca domestica (Diptera: Muscidae). Environment Entomoogy, 42(6), 1322-8. https://doi.org/10.1603/EN13039
• Shahriari, M., Zibaee, A., Sahebzadeh, N., Shamakhi, L. (2018). Effects of α-pinene. trans-anethole. and thymol as the essential oil constituents on antioxidant system and acetylcholine esterase of Ephestia kuehniella Zeller (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Pesticide Biochemical Physiology, 150, 40-47.
• Vasantha-Srinivasan P, Senthil-Nathan S, Thanigaivel A, Edwin E.S., Ponsankar A, Selin-Rani, S., Pradeepa, V., Sakthi-Bhagavathy, M., Kalaivani, K., Hunter, W.B., Duraipandiyan, V., Al-Dhabi. N. A. (2016). Developmental response of Spodoptera litura Fab. to treatments of crude volatile oil from Piper betle L. and evaluation of toxicity to earthworm, Eudrilus eugeniae Kinb. Chemosphere, 155, 336-347.
• Yousef, D.A., Bayoumi, A.E., Dimetry, N.Z., Amin, A.H., Hoballah, E.M. (2018). Evaluatıng effect of pepper mınt oıl (Mentha pipreta) and ıts nano-formulatıons on some enzymatıc actıvıtıes and bıonomıcs of cotton leaf worm Spodoptera littoralis. Universities Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 26(2), 1977-1991.
• Zahoor, A.M.K., Zahoor, M.A., Mubarik, M.S., Rizvi, H., Majeed, H.N, Zulhussnain, M., Ranian,K., Sultana, K., Imran, M., Qamer, S. (2020). Insecticidal, biological and biochemical response of Musca domestica (Diptera: Muscidae) to some indigenous weed plant extracts. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, 27, 106–116.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Food Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.