Effects of ultraviolet and ultrasound treatments applied before the storage period on egg quality characteristics
Keywords:Quality changes, Storage time, Ultrason, Ultraviole, Egg
Egg is an important source of animal protein with its nutritional substances. These nutritional substances and the quality characteristics of the egg are affected by the physicochemical changes with the effect of various factors during storage. Different studies have been carried out to preserve the quality values of eggs during storage. In these studies, Ultraviolet applications were mostly used for the sanitation of eggs, while Ultraviolet applications were made to determine the internal quality of the egg without breaking the shell. The aim of this study is to determine the effects of ultraviolet and ultrasound applications applied before storage to the quality characteristics of the eggs collected from laying hens. Eggs collected in the morning were subjected to ultraviolet and ultrasound treatments before storage and stored for 28 days in an environment of 20°C and approximately 60% humidity. The applied treatments made a significant difference between the groups in egg shell thickness (p <0.01), albumen weight (p <0.01) and yolk dry matter value (p <0.01). Storage time, on the other hand, made significant changes between groups on weight loss, shell breaking strength, albumen and yolk quality characteristics. The interaction of applications and storage time was statistically significantly in weight and height of albumen, Haugh unit and dry matter of yolk. As a result, the effects of processes such as ultraviolet and ultrasound applied to eggs, especially on egg shell thickness, reveal the importance of application time and application amount in such studies.
• Aboonajmi, M., Akram, A., Nishizu, T., Kondo, N., Setarehdan, S. K., Rajabipour, A. (2010). An ultrasound based technique for the determination of poultry egg quality. Research in Agricultural Engineering, 56(1), 26–32.
• Al Ajeeli, M. N., Taylor T. M., Alvarado C. Z., Coufal C. D. (2016). Comparison of eggshell surface sanitization technologies and impacts on consumer acceptability. Poultry Science, 95, 1191–1197. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pew014
• Benede, S., Molina E. (2020). Chicken egg proteins and derived peptides with antioxidant properties. Foods, 9(6), 735. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods9060735.
• Bhale, S., No, H. K., Prinyawiwatkul, W.,Farr, A. J., Nadarajah, K., Meyers, S. P. (2003). Chitosan Coating Improves Shelf Life of Eggs. Journal of Food Science, 68, 7, 2378-2383. https://doi.org/ 10.1111/j.1365-2621.2003.tb05776.x.
• Brodacki, A., Batkowska, J., Drabik, K., Chabroszewska, P., Luczkiewicz, P. (2019). Selected quality traits of table eggs depending on storage time and temperature. British Food Journal 121 (9), 2016-2026. https://doi.org/ 10.1108/BFJ-10-2018-0688.
• Caner, C., Yuceer, M. (2014). Maintaining functional properties of shell eggs by ultrasound treatment. Journal of The Science of Food and Agriculture 95, 2880–2891. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.7029.
• Caner, C., Yüceer, M. (2015). Efficacy of various protein-based coating on enhancing the shelf life of fresh eggs during storage. Poultry Science 94(7), 1665–1677. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pev102.
• Cassar, J. R., Bright, L. M., Patterson, P. H., Mills, E. W., Demirci, A. (2021). The efficacy of pulsed ultraviolet light processing for table and hatching eggs. Poultry Science 100,100923. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2020.12.021.
• Dawson, B., Trapp, R. G. (2001). Basic and Clinical Biostatistics, 3rd ed. Lange Medical Books. McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division, New York.
• Drabik K., Próchniak T., Kasperek K., & Batkowska J. (2021). The use of the dynamics of changes in table eggs during storage to predict the age of eggs based on selected quality traits. Animals, 11, 3192. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani11113192.
• Jirangrat, W., Torrico, D. D., No, J., No, H. K., Prinyawiwatkul, W. (2010). Effects of mineral oil coating on internal quality of chicken eggs under refrigerated storage. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 45(3), 490–495.
• Kopacz, M., Aleksandra, D. 2018. Changes in the quality of table eggs depending on storage method and time. Scientific Annals of Polish Society of Animal Production, 14(3), 37-45. https://doi.org/10.5604/01.3001.0013.5084.
• Kumari, A., Utkarsh Kumar Tripathi, U. K., Vipin Maurya, V., Kumar, M. (2020). Internal qualıty changes ın eggs durıng storage. International Journal of Science, Environment and Technology, 9(4), 615 – 624.
• Luo, W., Xue, H., Xiong, C., Li, J., Tu, Y., Zhao, Y. (2020). Effects of temperature on quality of preserved eggs during storage. Poultry Science, 99, 3144–3157, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2020.01.020.
• Melo, E. F., Clımaco, W. L. S., Triginelli, M. V., Vaz, D. P., De Souza, M. R., Baiao, N. C., Pompeu, M. A., Lara, L. J. C. (2019). An evaluation of alternative methods for sanitizing hatching eggs. Poultry Science, 98, 2466–2473. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pez022.
• Mehdizadeh, S. A., Minaei, S., Karimi Torshizi, M. A., Mohajerani, E. (2015). Effect of UV irradiation, sample thickness and storage temperature on storability, bacterial activity and functional properties of liquid egg. Journal of Food Science and Technolohy, 52(7), 4414–4422. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-014-1509-1.
• Onbaşılar, E. E., Avcılar, Ö. V. (2011). Kahverengi yumurtacı tavuklarda yaş ve yumurtlama zamanının yumurta ağırlığı ve kabuk kalitesi üzerine etkileri. Lalahan Hayvancılık Araştırma Enstitüsü Dergisi, 51(1), 15-19. Puglisi, M. J., Fernandez, M. L. (2022). The health benefits of egg protein. Nutrients, 14(14), 2904. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14142904.
• Rana, M. S., Campbell, D. L. M. (2021). Application of ultraviolet light for poultry production: a review of ımpacts on behavior, physiology, and production. Frontiers in Animal Science, 2, 699262. https://doi.org/10.3389/fanim.2021.699262.
• Sarıyel, V., Aygun, A., Coklar, H., Narınc, D., Akbulut, M. (2022). Effects of prestorage application of gum arabic coating on the quality of table eggs during storage. Kafkas Üniversitesi Veteriner Fakültesi Dergisi, 28(3), 363-370. https://doi.org/10.9775/kvfd.2022.27077.
• Sert, D., Aygun, A., Demir, M. K. (2011). Effects of ultrasonic treatment and storage temperature on egg quality. Poultry Science, 90, 869–875. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-00799.
• Sheng, X. W., Bing, S. H., Lu, C. Q., Yuan, X, Y., Zang, T., Zhan, Z. W., Shu, D. Q., Li, Y. J., Li, M. T., Wu, B. Q. (2020). A combined approach using slightly acidic electrolyzed water and UV exposure to improve egg internal quality during storage. Poultry Science, 99, 6007–6012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2020.07.034.
• Tabib, I., Onbaşılar, E. E., Yalçın, S. (2021). The effects of cage type, oviposition time and egg storage period on the egg quality characteristics of laying hens. Ankara Üniversitesi Veteriner Fakültesi Dergisi, 68, 329-336. https://doi.org/10.33988/auvfd.779272.
• Turtoi, M., Borda, D. (2014). Decontamination of egg shells using ultraviolet light treatment. World's Poultry Science Journal, 70(2), 265-278. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933914000282.
• Xie, L., Hettiarachchy, N. S., Ju, Z. Y., Meullenet, J., Wang, H., Slavik, M. F., Janes, M. E. (2002). Edible film coating to minimize eggshell breakage and reduce post-wash bacterial contamination measured by dye penetration in eggs. Journal of Food Scıence, 67, 280-284. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb11398.x.
• Yalçın, S., Yalçın, S., Onbaşılar, İ., Eser, H., Sahin, A. (2014). Effects of dietary yeast cell wall on performance, egg quality and humoral immune response in laying hens. Ankara Universitesi Veteriner Fakültesi Dergisi, 61, 289-294.
• Yan, Y. Y., Sun, C. J., Lian, L., Zheng, J. X., Xu, G. Y., Yang, N. (2014). Effect of uniformity of eggshell thickness on eggshell quality in chickens. The Journal of Poultry Science, 51, 338–342. https://doi.org/10.2141/ jpsa.0130032.
• Yimenu, S. M., Kim, J. Y., Koo, J., Kim, B. S. (2017). Predictive modeling for monitoring egg freshness during variable temperature storage conditions. Poultry Science, 96, 2811–2819. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex038.
• Yuceer, M., Caner, C. (2020). The effects of ozone, ultrasound and coating with shellac and lysozyme–chitosan on fresh egg during storage at ambient temperature. Part II: microbial quality, eggshell breaking strength and FT-NIR spectral analysis. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 55, 1629–1636. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.14422.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Food Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.