Morphological and pomological characterization of some genotypes Sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) obtained by selection breeding
Keywords:Medicinal and aromatic, Rhus coriaria, Fruit characteisthic, Fruit, Spice
Sumac (R. coriaria L.) is a subtropic and temperate climate plant with medicinal and aromatic properties which has a natural distribution in many regions of Anatolia. Sumac which is used as a food additive in the food industry due to the flavoring substances has been in high demand in recent years. Besides the beneficial secondary metabolites, it is used in the field of medicine and pharmacy. Sumac (R. coriaria) which grows spontaneously in the natural environment without any agricultural practices is collected by the local people in the region and supplied to the local market. Since this situation, the ideas of creating modern orchards for sumac have begun to emerge. For this reason, selection breeding studies have been planned in sumac (R. coriaria L.). This study was carried out at the East Mediterranean Transition Zone Agricultural Research Institute during 2019-2021 years. Approximately 300 different sumac genotypes were observed and botanically 92 genotypes were found positive in this study. It was determined that the wet weight values of the clusters in the examined sumac genotypes varied between 5.63-87.74 g as a result of the statistical analysis. The highest cluster weight varied between 87.74, 78.92, and 70.81 g in GN26, GN86, and GN90 genotypes respectively. The lowest cluster wet weight was found in GN28 (5.63 g) and GN41 (6.00 g) genotypes in the study. It was found in the study that the cluster powder efficiency values varied between 30.62% and 72.49% and the average cluster powder efficiency was 49.15%. It was determined that the results obtained from about 20 sumac genotypes were found to be positive in the statistical analyzes made on the characteristics examined in this study. It is aimed to use this sumac (R. coriaria L.) genotypes in the modern sumac cultivation planned for the future.
• Alsamri H., Athamneh K., Pintus G., Eid A. H., Iratni R. (2021). Pharmacological and antioxidant activities of Rhus coriaria L. (Sumac), Antioxidants. 10(73):1-27. https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox10010073
• Amiri S., Mohammadi R. 2021. Establishment of an efficient in vitro propagation protocol for Sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) and confirmation of genetic homogeneity. Scientific Reports, 11(1): 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-80550-4
• Basoglu F., Cemeroglu B. (1984). Research the chemical composition of sumac (in Turkish) . Food, 9(3): 161-172. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/issue-full-file/20894
• Bloshenko E. K., Letchamo W. (1995). Characterization of natural distribution and some biological traits of Sumach (Rhus coriaria) in central Asia. In International Symposium on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, 426: 113-122. https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.1996.426.12
• Caliskan R., Polat S., Buyukkilic Altinbasak B., Dinc H. O., Yuksel Mayda P., İsaa G. (2022). Bioactive components and antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Rhus coriaria species of sumac in Turkey. 4.th International Congress of Muldispilinary Studies on Medicinal Science Antalya, Turkey. 10-11.
• Corbaci O. L., Ertekin M., Ozyavuz M. 2011. Landscape architecture applications in arid and semi-arid areas . Management Workshop of Arid and Semi-Arid Area . Workshop proceeding. Nevsehir, Turkey. 5-8. https://acikders.ankara.edu.tr/pluginfile.php/98391/mod_resource/content/1/%2B%2B%C4%B0KL%C4%B0M%20TASARIM%2011_KURAK%20VE%20YARI%20KURAK%20ALANLARDA%20PEYZAJ%20M%C4%B0MARLI%C4%9EI%20UYGULAMALARI.pdf
• Davis C. T. (1885). The Manufacture of leather: Description of all of the processes for the tanning, tawing, currying and finishing. HC Baird & Co. https://books.google.com.tr/books?hl=tr&lr=&id=aS7QAAAAMAAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR3&dq=Davis+C.+T.+(1885).+The+Manufacture+of+leather:+Description+of+all+of+the+processes+for+the+tanning,+tawing,+currying+and+finishing.+HC+Baird+%26+Co.&ots=3bD1VpAnNA&sig=wEQXrV7sVfH2jtwKz5FA7VNdIYo&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
• Edwards R.A., Thomas M.B. (1980). Observations on physical barriers to root formation in cuttings. Plant Propagation, 26: 6-8. https://pascalfrancis.inist.fr/vibad/index.php?action=getRecordDetail&idt=PASCALAGROLINEINRA8010417
• Elagbar, Z.A., Shakya A.K., Barhoumi L.M., Al-Jaber H.I. (2020). Phytochemical diversity and pharmacological properties of Rhus coriaria. Chemistry Biodiversity, 6: 1-17. https://10.1002/cbdv.201900561
• Eminagaoglu, O., Ozcan M. 2018. Morphological and anatomical studies of the newly recorded Rhus chinensis Mill.(Anacardiaceae) from Turkey. Bangladesh Journal of Plant Taxonomy, 25(1): 71-78. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbdv.201900561
• Fereidoonfar H., Salehi-Arjmand H., Khadivi A., Akramian M. (2018). Morphological variability of sumac (R.coriaria L.) germplasm using multivariate analysis Industrial Crops and Products, 162-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2018.04.034
• Gezici, S.(2019). The neuroprotective effect, antimicrobial and antioxidant potentials of sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) fruit extracts. Hacettepe Journal of Biology and Chemistry, 47(2): 165-170. https://doi.org/10.15671/HJBC.621202
• Gokturk A., Olmez Z., Temel, F. (2006). Some native plants for erosion control efforts in coruh river valley, Artvin, Turkey. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 9(4): 667-673. https://10.3923/pjbs.2006.667.673
• Guvenc G., Ozcan A., Bukucu, S.B., Sutyemez, M. (2017). Determination of Phenological Characteristics between Some Elm-Leaved Sumac (Rhus Coriaria L.) Genotypes. Turkish Journal of Agricultural and Natural Sciences, 4(4): 477-483. https://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=TR2020000446
• Karakuzulu H. (2018). Determination of mineral content and antimicrobial activities of sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) grown under Kilis ecological conditions. Kilis 7 Aralık University. 50 s. http://abakus.inonu.edu.tr/xmlui/handle/11616/57555
• Khaula Sakhr, Sami El Khatib. (2020). Physiochemical properties and medicinal, nutritional and industrial applications of Lebanese Sumac (Syrian Sumac - Rhus coriaria): A review. Heliyon, 6: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e03207
• Kheiri F., Rahimian Y., Nasr, J. (2015). Application of sumac and dried whey in female broiler feed. Archives Animal Breeding, 58(1): 205-210. https://doi.org/10.5194/aab-58-205-2015, 2015.
• Kizil S., Turk M. (2010). Microelement contents and fatty acid compositions of Rhus coriaria L. and Pistacia terebinthus L. fruits spread commonly in the southeastern Anatolia region of Turkey. Natural Product Research, 24(1): 92-98. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786410903132555
• Kurucu S., Koyuncu M., Guvenç (Koroglu) A., Baser K. H. C., Ozek T. (1993). The Essential oils of Rhus coriaria L. (Sumac). Journal of Essential Oil Research, 5: 481-486. https://doi.org/10.1080/10412905.1993.9698267.
• Kurt R., Karayilmazlar S., Cabuk, Y. (2014). Determination of Foreign Trade of Non-Wood Tanning Materials. II. National Mediterranean Forest and Environment Symposium. Isparta, Turkey, p. 22-24. http://ormanweb.isparta.edu.tr/ormanvecevre/belgeler/BildirilerKitabi.pdf
• Langroodi A. M., Tajik H.,Mehdizadeh T. (2018). Preservative effects of sumac hydro-alcoholic extract and chitosan coating enriched along with zataria multiflora boiss essential oil on the quality of beef during storage. In Veterinary Research Forum, 9(2): 153. https://doi.org/10.30466/VRF.2018.30831
• Mazaheri T. M., Hesarinejad M.., Seyed M. R., Mohammadian R., Poorkian S. (2017). Comparing physicochemical properties and antioxidant potential of sumac from Iran and Turkey. Food Processing & Technology, 5(2): 288-294. https://10.15406/mojfpt.2017.05.00125
• Muhamed H. N., Dawod N. A. (2017). The effect of IBA and cutting diameter on inducing roots of Cotinus Coggygria Scop. and Rhus Coriaria L.(Anacardiaceae). Science Journal of University of Zakho, 5(2):193-197. https://doi.org/10.25271/2017.5.2.367
• Ozcan A., Susluoglu Z., Nogay G., Ergun M., Sutyemez M. (2021). Phytochemical characterization of some sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) genotypes from southern part of Turkey. Food Chemistry, 358: 129779. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.129779
• Pipinis E., Milios E., Aslanidou M., Mavrokordopoulou O., Efthymiou E., Smiris P. (2017). Effects of sulphuric acid scarification, cold stratification and plant growth regulators on the germination of Rhus coriaria L. seeds. Journal of Environmental Protection and Ecology, 18(2): 544-552. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/EliasMilios/publication/321442886pdf
• Sutyemez M., Guvenc G., Bukucu S. B., Ozcan A. (2019). The Determination of genetic diversity among some sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) genotypes. Erwerbs-Obstbau, 61(4), 355-361. https://10.1007/s10341-019-00440-6
• Tiryaki G. Y. (2010). Kahramanmaras province produced in a symbolic traditional product: Concentrated citrus tasting water extract of sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) fruit. Journal of food engineering, (31): 54-60 (in Turkish). https://www.gidamo.org.tr/resimler/ekler/435c378bb76d435_ek.pdf?dergi=38
• Ugur R., Paydas Kargi S. (2017). Investigation of growing situations of apricot varieties grafted on clonal rootstock candidate some wild plum genotypes obtained by selection. Turkish Journal of Natural and Agricultural Science, 5: 64-70. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/turkjans/issue/34475/381134
• Uzun, E. (2016). The effect of seed size and some pre-treatments on the germination of sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) seeds. Master’s dissertation, Artvin Coruh University, 28 p.
• Sakhr K., El Khatib S. (2020). Physiochemical properties and medicinal, nutritional and industrial applications of Lebanese Sumac (Syrian Sumac-Rhus coriaria): A review. Heliyon, 6(1). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e03207
• Saltan F. Z., Under D. (2019) Sumac and Its Important Biological Effects. Çukurova J. Agric. Food Sci, 34(1): 69-78. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/cutarim/issue/47199/551485
• Sezgin, O. (2015). Determination of the phonological morphological and phenological characteristics of wild red currant (Ribes rubrum L.) found in the flora of Turkey. Master’s dissertation, Namık Kemal University 49 p. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/354924
• Wetherilt H., Pala M. (1994). Herbs and spices indigenous to Turkey. Developments in food science, 764. https://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=US201301487168
• Yilmaz I. A. (2021). Determination of promising genotypes in derici sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) population in Dulkadiroglu, Kahramanmaras. Master’s dissertation, Kahramanmaras Sutcu İmam University, 83 p. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348237054_SUMAK_Rhus_coriaria_L_MEYVESININ_FIZIKOKIMYASAL_OZELLIKLERI
• Yucedag C., Gultekin H., Pirlak I. (2010). Effects of sowing time and covering on germinatıon of sumac (Rhus coriaria L.) seeds in greenhouse and fıeld . Turkish Journal of Forestry, 1(1): 9-15. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/195762
• Yuksel, E. (2018). Investigation phytochemical components of sumac plant growing in Tunceli. Master’s dissertation, Munzur University, 69 p. https://acikbilim.yok.gov.tr/handle/20.500.12812/715296
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Food Sciences
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.